In 1910 there were over eight thousand members of the Immaculate Conception Parish. A Catholic education for the children was of prime concern. Reverend Thomas B. Lowney, who was pastor at the time, realized this, and at all the Masses on Sunday, January 23rd, announced to the congregation that a school was to be constructed on the corner of Washington Court.
The structure would be built in harmony with all of the modern improvements. It would be of brick construction with terra cotta trimmings. There would be four classrooms on the first floor and four classrooms on the second floor looking toward the East with the windows, so situated that pupils would receive the light over the left shoulder. The school would be ready for use by September 1, 1911.
The School is named for the feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, which is celebrated on December eighth. The original building served the needs of the School Community until 1956. The enrollment had grown so rapidly a second building was needed. It was constructed at the corner of Washington Street and Prospect Street.